Orange County VT Democrats

Winning elections is a team sport

Monday, August 25, 2008

Hello from Denver!!


Hello,
Denver is a beautiful city with friendly people!  I  love staying  downtown .. close to  everything.
We are on 17th  street...  the next  street over is the 16th  Street Mall. Lots of shops, restaurants,  T-shirt and  button vendors.  It has a shuttle  running every few minutes from one end to the other. Last  night shoppers were entertained by two  bagpipers at  different corners and a group of African drum musicians.
 
It has been hot and sunny. I  got early (6:30 am) to go  find the free bike rentals.... only to find they weren't  open until tomorrow.
So  tomorrow at  7 am, I am  going to  go  bike riding around town and down  by the  river.
 
Today  I  saw a bit of "Hardball with  Chris Mathews" at their outside studio.
I  couldn't hear the  program, even being in the front row,  so  returned  to the  hotel   to watch it on TV.
About 20 minutes later he was talking to  the  audience right along where I  had been  standing. OH well... they will be there all week.
 
MSNBC's "Morning Joe" starts at  4 am  at a cafe down the street. If I  wake up that early.. maybe I will walk down an d watch that live.
.
We are sharing the  hotel  with West  Virgina delegates. I met Mary  Peal, Shelby,  and Janice,  Misha, and others... an d heard some great  stories.
 
This afternoon while I  was walking back to  the hotel, I  came upon a protest  march led by Iraq Veterans Against  the War and Gold Star Families, and other groups. 
I got a Sticker ," Make Out not War" from codepink.org  marcher.
 
Tonight was a Delegate reception,"Recognizing Katrina Relief Organizations."
When  we arrived  Randy  Newman was on stage playing the piano and singing one of his new songs.
 
 Howard Dean then gave an  enthusiastic speech to  a huge crowd.
 
Menu was Gumbo, shrimp, and rice and beans.
 
Tomorrow... it really gets going! Looking  forward to  the first  night of  the convention with  Michelle Obama and  Nancy Pelosi.
 
Good night from the mile high city. I am  not used to  the time change or the altitude yet. Maybe tomorrow!
Sherry
PS on the  local news they  just  said the DNC paid one million for cement barriers around the  Pepsi Center and that  there are 750  cameras mounted all over town.
There are many groups of police,  walking, bicycling, on horseback, motorcycles and other vehicles around town.
 
 
 
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home